From Japan to Afghanistan, Bridgeport to New York, the Chicago based Fashion Geek line is discernible no matter where you are! Fashion Geek has turned the fashion industry upside down with its arrival. Chicago native Alonzoe Jackson took his vision, made it concrete, and wholly revamped standard men clothing. Fashion Geek annihilated the norm, thus making it acceptable for men to wear bright colors, plus colorful matching hat and scarf sets. This line showcases the positive aspect of being eccentric and going against the grain for something you truly believe in.

Fashion Geek started as a collection, but along the way it turned into a culture. The Verizon network can’t light a candle to the followers of Fashion Geek. They represent hard because they watched the struggle and trusted the dream of one man. When you talk to Alonzoe , also known as Zoe, you completely understand why. His evident love for fashion and honest, humble nature makes you jump on his bandwagon and join the growing network of Fashion Geek.


How long has fashion geek been in existence?

Fashion Geek was established in Chicago four years ago.

What is the meaning behind the name Fashion Geek?

I got the nickname in high school. I was really into clothes and the name stuck with me. Fashion Geek is a nerd that lives for what they do. Fashion Geek is someone who goes to the extreme with fashion. They live and die for fashion.

Who are the founders of fashion geek?

I am the CEO and Designer of Fashion Geek. I also have a team and numerous loyal supporters because they saw and understand my struggle. That’s the good thing about Chicago’s unity.

How did you promote Fashion Geek in its opening stages?

I started Fashion Geek with $300. I did a promotional t-shirt and gave it away to all my guys. I knew they would want another one and I would be fully comfortable with charging them by then. And it started happening from there.

How does it feel to finally be getting recognition?

I’m a low-key guy. I have more guys claiming fashion geek than I do. But it’s a good feeling to have people knowing your clothes. It’s a blessing to have people spending money on my clothes, especially with the condition of the economy. A lot of people were trying to tell me I wouldn’t be able to make it here but I’ve been okay because people support me strongly

What were your biggest obstacles while trying to build Fashion Geek?

A lot of guys are into color now, but when I first came out with Fashion Geek bright colors weren’t acceptable for men clothing. People weren’t trying to see where the style was going. Getting people to believe where I was going was an obstacle because at the end of the day you’re competing with more than a hundred different lines. Guys go in the store and you have to convince them that your t-shirt is better than a LRG or Sean John t-shirt. Everything else has been really smooth.

Where do you get your inspiration to create?

I get my inspiration from different designers. One of the problems I have now is I can’t sleep at night because I’m so anxious to see what everyone else is coming out with. I go to the club to see what people are thinking. When I get home I’m on the Internet at 4-5 in the morning looking at everyone’s line and seeing what direction they're going in. I critique it, see where they could have improved, and do better than them.

Your creations are unique and very noticeable. What can aspiring designers do to make their line distinctive?

Just study. It’s not hard, but it’s not easy either. You have to study it like everything else. You have to find ways to outthink your opponent. You’ve got to study and know it’s not a hobby. I understand that some people have no choice because of their circumstances, but it bothers when people say they’re working and trying to start a clothing line on the side. I don’t think what I do, or what any designer does is something that can be done on the side. It takes a lot of work and its something you have to be passionate about.

Where can Fashion Geek be found?

Fashion Geek can be found in 32 stores. Leaders, in Chicago, is the home of Fashion Geek. They have the largest quantity of the Fashion Geek line. You can catch me there 3 days a week getting feedback and people reaction to my line. Our biggest market and most proud achievement is we are now in Japan. Right now we’re worrying about just basing it in Chicago because we’re going through a change of manufacturer.

Will you ever create a business or more feminine line?

Definitely. I have three other lines I’m working with. FGC is our couture line. We’re pushing it out a little at a time. This will be a line for everyone in business because it’s clean with no logos. I can’t speak the name of the second one because the name isn’t locked. But this line will be a little more relaxed and without a lot of vibrant colors. I’m mainly offering assistance on the third line.

I noticed one of your hoodies read “Chicago, City of Hella Haters.” Can you explain what this mean?

The reason I did this hoodie is because I travel a lot around the world. I wanted cats in NY or women in LA to be like I want that hoodie that says Chicago. We are always wearing clothing that says NY or Japan. We have to represent our own city. I had to put something on the bottom to let them know what Chicago is. The quote came from our good friend Kanye West From the Chi, the city of hella haters, but we keep rising to the top like elevators...” We love Kanye. He’s a big supporter of the line. That quote was a certified Chicago stamp.

*Pic of Kanye Fashion Geeked out*

Where do you want to see Fashion Geek 10 years from now?

We’re small on purpose because when you’re small you last longer. We’re very picky of who we deal with. The main reason of being picky is to be around. No disrespect, but you have brands that were hot last year that people won’t wear this year. That’s what we’re trying to stay away from. In 10 years we’re still going to be a small profitable brand. It’s always going to be exclusive.

To see FG collections , head to the following websites...

http://fashiongeekclothing.net/
http://www.leaders1354.com/

http://www.myspace.com/fashiongeekclothing